Here is a general guide for selecting the right size rug for your space:
- For a living room: Choose a rug that is large enough to fit under the front legs of all the furniture in the seating area. This will create a cohesive look and define the space. A good rule of thumb is to measure the length and width of your furniture and add at least 60 cm to both dimensions to find the right size rug.
- For a bedroom: A rug should be large enough to fit under the bed and extend at least 45 cm beyond the bed on either side. If you have nightstands, you can also include them in the rug area.
- For a dining room: The rug should be large enough to fit under the entire dining table and chairs, with at least 60 cm of extra space on all sides. This will ensure that the chairs stay on the rug when they are pushed back from the table. The rug should extend at least 45 cm beyond the edge of the sofa and chairs, and should also be large enough to accommodate any other furniture you have in the room, such as a coffee table or media console. A good size for a living room rug is 240 cm by 300 cm or larger.
- For a kitchen: A small rug in front of the sink or stove can add warmth and comfort to the space. Choose a rug that is at least 60 cm wide and 120 cm long.
- Entryway/Hallway: In an entryway, you'll want to choose a rug that is large enough to fit the entire space, with at least a few cm of rug showing on all sides. A good size for an entryway rug is 90 cm by 150 cm or larger.